Ctags feature in EditPlus
ldiff001-YcNu6NoHh7peaUtoeC/G4l6hYfS7NtTn@public.gmane.org [editplus]
2014-05-10 08:00:26 UTC
Hello.

I am a EditPlus user for nearly 13 years, and I consider it the most practical text editor that I could use.

However, there is a feature in EditPlus that seems to exist for about two years, that I have never used since then, as never even have looked at it before.

So I would like to know:

What IS it exactly? Why would I want to use it? What could it bring to me? How could I install it and activate it in EditPlus?

Looking at the EditPlus documentation, I got some pages about it, but nothing answering the fundamental questions above.

About the "Configure Tag Files dialog box" documentation, I think having understood that I should use an external application that I should configure there.

Having made some searchs in Google, I found this Exuberant Ctags page http://ctags.sourceforge.net/ with an application that I downloaded.
The result is a ctags.exe command line tool that I now have in my path.

Now I ended in adding a Ctags program, which actually brings me in the "Configure User Tools" Preference section, which have a "CTags" category, so I suppose the I have to add the application there.

But I still don't know :
Which arguments and parameters should I use there? Should I run it as a text filter? (is IT a text filter?) Should I capture the output? Should I use an output pattern? Knowing that the CTags user tools category can accept more than one tool in its category, why would I want to configure more than one? As I don't even know what should be the result, how EditPlus connects to this software and what it makes with its output, it is not easy to guess that, even when reading the Exuberant Ctags documentation.

Thank you in advance for all answers.

Gilles